![]() |
| source: attractionsmagazine.com |
This summer we'll see the biggest expansion to Universal Orlando Resort since the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Islands of Adventure and it just so happens to be the Wizarding World's expansion into the studio park as they prepare to open the hugely anticipated opening of Diagon Alley.
The expansion has been built on what used to be Amity and the popular but problem stricken Jaws ride. (1 min silence).
Location Location
The best part of this expansion for me is the fact that they have created the expansion in a separate park and joined them with the Hogwarts Express, just like in the movie. Additionally, the train ride itself is also an attraction, with what has been billed as an interactive journey between London and the northern countryside (aka Scotland, according to JKR in numerous interviews) of Hogsmead.
This is the full immersion experience that modern theme parks should strive for, linking two parks via a common theme is unique and very few franchises could be staged in such a way. The only ones that come to my mind are Narnia or Middle Earth? Although Disney are building an Avatar world, the other world in this story is a modern present day so it doesn't lend itself to this kind of experience.
Anyway, back to our magical world and let's start by a quick summary of what to expect. Beware some geeky information is about to follow:
In Hogmead, Olivander's is closing and will re-open bigger and better in Diagon Alley, as of course it should be.
Although when the Hogsmead phase was created, it was based on book four, which meant the the Dark Lord had not returned and caused mayhem, but Diagon Alley will have Weasley's Wizard Wheezes shop, which came to life in book six.
There will be the Leaky Couldren, the entrance to Diagon Alley, but it's unclear a this time how guests will enter it.
Both train stations will built, Kings Cross and Hogsmead or course
Most of the usual shops found in the books will be seen here such as; Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions; Magical Menagerie™ ; Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment and Quality Quidditch™ Supplies.
The e-ticket attraction (sorry for the Disney reference) will be Escape from Grigots, which is being promoted as another breakthrough in dark ride technology.
The Hogswarts Express will run between the two areas and I mentioned before will be an attraction in its own right. (You will need a two park ticket to ride this train).
All good things...
Now I don't plan to go to Orlando for
at least 2 years, so I'm going to miss the opening rush, but if the opening of Hogsmead was anything to go by, I think I'll be glad to miss it. The crowds can be insane!
Now I don't plan to go to Orlando for
at least 2 years, so I'm going to miss the opening rush, but if the opening of Hogsmead was anything to go by, I think I'll be glad to miss it. The crowds can be insane!
There is one thing that I don't understand about Universal parks is how they have not included any of the main attractions in Hogsmead in the express pass system. This park is so popular, there are often 1 hour+ queues for Olivander's wand shop and that isn't even a ride! The main attraction, The Forbidden Journey never goes below 1 hour queues within half an hour of the park opening. So what in the name of Mike will the queues be like for Escape from Grigotts when it opens?
The other Battle of Hogwarts
Universal have always gone toe to toe with Disney and they like to point out why it's better to visit Universal Parks and Resorts than Disney's. But let's not kid ourselves, to-date the two Universal parks together can only muster about 2/3 of The Magic Kingdom's attendances alone and I'm not sure Diagon Alley will increase Universal's attendances by that much. For me the reason being is Harry Potter fans don't outnumber Disney fans. Yes it was the highest earning franchise in history, but that is more to do with repeat entry at the box office and in my mind that was highly justified as they were great films, but there are simply too many Disney film and park fans. Not to mention there are 3rd generation visitors with their own childhood stories of the parks and so the cycle continues with them taking their kids.But when all is said and done, this will be an enormously successful addition I'm sure and I just hope they introduce the express pass system here sooner rather than later.
So if you one of the lucky ones going this summer, please drop me a line and tell me how it went. But what ever happens, I hope you enjoy more.
Dale




No comments:
Post a Comment